Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Sunday 5 January 2014

How to watch #Sherlock when someone else is in charge of the TV remote ;)

I often watch television programmes on my laptop, at the time they're broadcast (with a tiny delay), via my home wifi. This is entirely legal as long as you have a TV license, which I do. I use TVCatchup to do this but I've just discovered today that you can also watch BBC programmes live on the BBC's website. (Also other channels but I'm writing this 20 mins before Sherlock starts).

Since I'm still away from home over the festive period and there's competition for the television tonight I'll be watching Sherlock through my laptop and paying attention cos I still find it all pleasantly bewildering, although I'm getting on a lot better than I did first time around ;)

1. BBC's website
a) Have a TV license
b) Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcone/live and the programme will auto-start - no need to register or log in. If you're a few minutes late hover over the playing window and click the 'restart the current programme' option.

Lots of background Sherlock information is available on BBC's site, including link to watch S3E1, The Empty Hearse (you can still watch it for another two weeks): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018ttws

2. TV Catchup's website
a) Get this all set up in advance - you need to register first and there are a couple of adverts to sit through before the programme shows.
b) Have a TV license
c) Register an account (free) with username, email address and choose a password http://www.tvcatchup.com/sign-up.html
d) Pick your channel from the channel options page - note that there are several versions of BBC One: BBC One, BBC One Wales, BBC One Scotland and BBC One HD.

Enjoy :)



Series 3 Music
Sherlock Original TV Soundtrack - Music From Series 3 [Soundtrack] - CD

At time of writing the CD is Amazon UK's best seller for TV soundtracks (but note it's updated hourly) - pic taken at 8pm :)

I took some screenshots, below.



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).