Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Tuesday 18 December 2012

I have just head the term 'subtweeting' - it's actually not very stealthy

Just posted this comment over at some random post at Business Insider, thought I'd post it here as it's relevant to my fascination with the way social media makes things surface that otherwise might be ... unsurfaced.

Subtweeting is apparently tweeting about someone without using the person's Twitter handle on the assumption that they won't hear about it. I'd not recommend relying on that.

-------

I'd be surprised if subtweeting (hadn't heard the term before) is of much use in stealth tweeting to be honest as there seem to be so many different ways in which the link can become obvious.

The simplest is looking at the (presumably public) profile of the person or people who might tweet about you. If it's private then you might search for tweets SENT to that person, in response to any tweet they might have sent.

If a tweet is sent in reply it forms part of a chain of tweets - even if people's names are removed from the next tweet the chain remains. Just click on any tweet to see the conversation it's participated in.

You can't even use short URLs to 'hide' a web address either as searching for the web address will bring it up along with any shortened versions (whether t.co / bit.ly etc).

1 comment:

  1. I've only just considered the topic of getting a subwoofer, so subtweeting is two decades away....

    ReplyDelete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).